June 14, 2012

Book #64 - Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1)


Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1), Jennifer Estep
3350 pages
paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 6/4/12
Finished 6/5/12
4 STARS

I LOVE mythology. Especially Greek mythology. I love it so much that, when I was a senior in high school, I had the opportunity to choose either an extra study hall or double up on English classes. I ditched the study hall and took a class on Greek mythology. Crazy, I know. So, it stands to reason that the books steeped in mythology are going to be awesome. I always hope anyway.

Gwen Frost is a new student at Mythos Academy, a school for kids with mythological backgrounds. In this school, you will find Valkyries, Spartans, Amazons - all descendants of Gods and Goddesses. And then there's Gwen. She's a gypsy. The only one at Mythos. All the others have special God-like powers - super strength, speed, skill with weapons - you get the idea. Gwen sees things when she touches people and objects. She sees the history of what she touches. Not quite as cool as those who can turn a chemistry textbook into a lethal weapon. Yet, somehow she becomes embroiled in a centuries-old battle between good and evil. While she tries to figure out herself and her role in all this, she becomes reluctant friends with a mean-girl Valkyrie and maybe more than friends with a bad-boy Spartan.

After my disappointment with The Goddess Test, I was really looking for a good mythology book. And, YAY! I finally found one! I thought Gwen was broody and complex and inherently good. I really loved watching her relationship with Daphne develop. I have to say, it was a nice change to see the proverbial mean girl actually turn out to be a pretty okay person. And, I have to believe that there's more to come for Gwen and Logan in future Mythos books. Cause, that was my only big complaint with Touch of Frost. I wanted so much MORE from them! I can't wait to see what develops. 

No comments: