March 26, 2012

Book #34 - Grave Witch (Alex Craft #1)


Grave Witch (Alex Craft #1), Kalayna Price
325 pages
urban fantasy
Started 3/8/12
Finished 3/20/12
3 STARS

I listened to this book in the car on my morning and afternoon commutes, which is why it took me so long to finish it. I'm starting to wonder if audio books are just not my thing. This is my second one, and neither of the ones I've listened to have been good books. 


Alex Craft is a witch that can summon "shades," or souls, from dead people. She gets tangled up in a serial murder case and has a bit of an affair with the lead detective on the case. Oh, and Death also has the hots for her. Not that Alex cares. She only seems to care about one thing - her fugly dog, PC.

Don't get me wrong - overall, I liked Grave Witch, but found Alex way too cold (no pun intended) for my liking. She's never all that friendly to anyone. She finds Roy a nuisance, even after all the help he gave her. She never warmed up to Falin, even after he saved her life repeatedly and obviously cares a lot for her. She keeps Death at a distance, despite his help and (view spoiler)profession of love. And, she doesn't seem like a very good friend to any of her "friends" (Holly, Tamara, Caleb). It's REALLY hard to like a character who doesn't like anyone else. And, it's really hard to love a book when you don't like the main character.

The jury is still out on whether I'll bother trying the second book in the series. 

No comments: