February 17, 2012

Book #16 - Evermore (The Immortals #1)


Evermore (The Immortals #1), Alyson Noel
306 pages
Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance
Started 2/13/12
Finished 2/17/12
3.5 STARS

I did it! I listened to an audio book! I haven't ever done it before because it kinda felt like cheating. Blasphemy. The epitome of laziness. But, on my last business trip to West Virginia, as I passed through that 200 mile stretch where the only songs you hear on the radio are ultra-twangy and there's no cell service with which to listen to Pandora, I decided that on my next trip, I would give the audio book a go. And, I'm so glad I did. It made that 5.5 hour trip actually enjoyable.

So, the book I chose was Evermore. Ever Bloom has lost her whole family in a horrid car accident. She almost died herself. And, as a result of that near-death experience, Ever can hear people's thoughts and see their auras. Everyone except for the new guy at school, Damen, that is. Her attraction to him is immediate and intense, and he seems to share it. But, even Ever can see that there's more to Damen than meets the eye. She eventually finds out that he can live forever, and so can his ex-girlfriend who wants to see Ever dead. Yikes.

Overall, I liked the story. It was a bit hokey in parts and a bit confusing in others. Ever can seem strong at times when she's talking about bearing the brunt of her family's death on her shoulders, as well as dealing with her extra cool powers. Other times, she's weak and stupid, like when she's pushing Damen away for no good reason. It's a bit tedious trying to figure out which Ever is going to show up from chapter to chapter.

There's six books in this series, and my interest has been captured enough to at least check out book #2. So, stay tuned...

No comments: