February 4, 2013

REVIEW: Easy

Easy, by Tammara Webber
Published November 6, 2012
Publisher:  Berkley Trade
Format:  Paperback - own
Genre:  New Adult Contemporary Romance

Rating:  5 STARS

(From Goodreads) Rescued by a stranger.
Haunted by a secret
Sometimes, love isn’t easy…


He watched her, but never knew her. Until thanks to a chance encounter, he became her savior…

The attraction between them was undeniable. Yet the past he’d worked so hard to overcome, and the future she’d put so much faith in, threatened to tear them apart.

Only together could they fight the pain and guilt, face the truth—and find the unexpected power of love.


This new adult genre is really working for me. I admit - it's been awhile since I was in high school (don't ask how long - just trust me. It's been a while.). But, I do remember some of what it was like to be 17, and a lot of times the YA books soften the truth. Am I right? As much as we don't want to admit it - especially we mothers - high school kids swear. They have sex and go to parties. They make bad decisions and sometimes hate their parents. Not very romanticized, right?

NA books seem to get it right. Or, well, more right, anyway. EASY really took me back. The college picture painted by Webber's brush was so accurate. The way the characters acted, spoke, dressed - it was very representative of what it's really like. There's some language and some sex, and you know what? I prefer it that way. If all these characters were walking around in virginal white slinging "hecks" and "darns" when they got mad, I'd call a big B.S. on the whole thing.

Some of the situations these kids get into are really rough and intense. EASY is no different. What happens to Jacqueline in the beginning of the book is awful and scary, and there are really people out there who understand it all a little too much. Which sucks. 

But, I think what I liked most about this book is the very strong message of hope and strength. Webber took this really awful thing and wove a really good story around it. She introduced a knight in shining armor in Lucas and created in him a new kind of heroic book boyfriend. He's wonderful and chivalrous and has his own scars and problems to deal with too. Not every person out there who suffers in the way Jacqueline does will have a Lucas to save her or him. But, it's nice to read a book about one particular time when that knight shows up to make things better. 

I'm a total sucker for love stories where the love story doesn't always run smoothly. Where the love isn't instantaneous, but rather grows over time and experiences. All those elements were there, making EASY an easy read for me. I read it in a 24-hour time period. And, when I read the final page and closed the book, all I could do was sigh one of those sighs. You know - the girlie oh-that-was-so-romantic-and Lucas-was-so-wonderful-and-they-lived-happily-ever-after sighs. I don't usually do the girlie thing, but it was warranted in this case. 

No comments: