February 18, 2013

REVIEW: Apollyon (Covenant #4)

Apollyon (Covenant #4), by Jennifer L. Armentrout
To Be Published April 9, 2013
Publisher:  Spencer Hill Press
Format:  Paperback ARC - Around The World ARC Tours
Genre:  Paranormal Romance, YA, Greek Mythology

Rating:  5 STARS

(From Goodreads) Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.


Jennifer L. Armentrout's Covenant series has come a long way since the novella, Daimon (Covenant #0.5) was released in May of 2011. Daimon and Half-Blood (Covenant #1) were the only books in the Covenant series that didn't get 5 stars from me. And, the only reason they didn't is because they seemed so much like other series I've read. 

But, since then, the series has gotten further and further away from what I know and closer and closer to something truly completely unique. Armentrout is slowly starting to pull the loose ends together of this incredible story she's weaving, and when I look back on where the story started, it kind of amazes me. 

I look back at the character that Alex was in the beginning - abrasive, detached, childish at times. In Apollyon, Alex really has to reach deep down and find her bedazzled big girl panties and put them on. She had the best excuse of any character I've ever read about to just curl in a ball and forget about the rest of the world forever. To let her guilt and sorrow consume her. But, she doesn't. And THAT is why I love this character more than any other. 

Alex mettle is tested and proven in Apollyon. She faces some serious stuff and doesn't back down. Oh no. In fact, she takes on the biggest, baddest stuff that is thrown at her - war, death, and even an extra mopey boyfriend. I really love to see how Alex has matured over the books. I think she is at her best in Apollyon.

And, Aiden. Well, this review wouldn't be complete without talking about him.I've loved Aiden since the beginning. It's was apparent from the minute he met Alex in Daimon (Covenant #0.5) that he loved her. But, he was always very good at playing the chivalrous guy who sacrificed his own desires and feelings in order to do what he thought was the right thing. 

The awesome thing about Aiden is that he knows how to adapt to the current situation. And when the world is going to hell in a hand basket, I love that he's man enough to stand up for what he wants. Lord knows he deserves it. In Deity (Covenant #3) he finally admitted his feelings for Alex right before he lost her. In Apollyon, I think Aiden has gotten to the place where he says to hell with the rest of the world. If I can get her back, I'm never letting her go again. I LOVE (like, L-O-V-E) the new Aiden. He's romantic and attentive and protective. And, he cusses! That is awesome! 

But, this love - this BIG LOVE - between he and Alex is why I read books. It gave me the "sighs." I can't even tell you how many times I was afflicted with the sighs in Apollyon. 

The action is great in Apollyon. The bad guy is and isn't whom I expected. Meaning, I figured out who the nasty god was in Deity, but not who he was when he was wearing his "person suit." The displays of Alex's power were fun (like, how amazed she still is with herself and what she can do) and impressive. The meeting of the different new gods was really cool too (Hermes, Hades, Persephone, Ares, etc.). And, one of my favorite parts about this series is, even though a character dies, that doesn't necessarily mean that he or she will never be seen again.

Bottom line - Apollyon is the real deal. It's the most romantic book I've ever read. The wicked ass-kicking scenes are gripping and exciting. It's emotional - whoo boy is it emotional. If you haven't started the Covenant series yet, please, please do yourself a favor and read Daimon (Covenant #0.5) today. The arc is amazing - I promise you. And, we are now only one book away from what is sure to be an incredible ending.  


No comments: