May 29, 2012

Book #59 - My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1)


My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1), Rachel Vincent
279 pages
paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 5/21/12
Finished 5/22/12
4 STARS

I really like stories that surprise me. And, this one surprised me. Just when I think that the limit has been capped on the imagination, I'm happy to find that there are still some authors out there that are still capable of coming up with fresh ideas. It's a fun discovery for a reader like me.

Kaylee has a secret. She can tell when people are going to die. And the way she can tell this is she has a nearly uncontrollable urge to scream bloody murder. It's distracting and horrible and she feels like a complete freak. And then she meets Nash. For some reason, he's the only person she's met that can settle her soul when she gets the urge to scream. But, now girls are dying around town with no apparent reason, and Kaylee is determined to find out why so that her soul can find some rest, as well as theirs.

This was kind of a sad story, what with all the death and whatnot. But, the end was kinda explosive and surprising. I liked that Kaylee was confused and curious, yet strong in her desire to learn more about herself and what she could and could not do. I thought she and Nash got together a little quickly (I like it when couples have to work for it), but it was inevitable, anyway.

I enjoyed all the twists and turns and big reveals. I hope the surprises continue in future books. I'm excited to check out the second one. 

No comments: