February 27, 2013

REVIEW: On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street #1)

On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street #1), by Samantha Young
Published August 31, 2012
Publisher:  NAL
Format:  e-book - own
Genre:  Adult Contemporary Romance

Rating:  4 STARS

(From Goodreads) Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare…

Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.

Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he’s determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached.

But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realizes that Braden won’t be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her… down to the very soul.


This was my first Samantha Young book. I actually own several, but I chose On Dublin Street to read first based on recommendations from some good friends. I definitely think that my first Samantha Young experience was a good one. 

I gotta tell you - Jocelyn was a really difficult character to like. I get that the events in the beginning of the book scarred her forever. That they affected who she ended up becoming. All I have to say is that Braden was a VERY patient man. Because, well, frankly, Jocelyn was a bitch most of the time to him. I'm really not quite sure why he was so persistent. Or, maybe I do...

It's obvious that Braden's initial attraction with Jocelyn was pretty physical in nature. What I don't get is, usually, in order for someone to fall in love with someone else, there has to be something else there besides great sex. Right? So, what is it that Braden saw in Jocelyn that made him want more than the great sex? I'm still trying to figure that out. But, it does appear that the sex was really... great, actually. (I'm not kidding about that!)

Braden is the real hero in this story. He takes care of his family, even those that aren't technically his family. He loves the woman that was unlovable. He's hot and rich and has good taste in architecture and design. Oh, and he's Scottish. Accent and everything. 'Nuff said.

Despite my distaste for Jocelyn as a character, I really did enjoy this book. It sucked me in from the first page and kept me there until it was done. I wanted to know how it would end for Joss and Braden - how she intended to conquer her demons and when she planned to admit to herself that she was being an idiot. The last chapter was the best part and made the entire book worth the read.   

3 comments:

Melissas Midnight Musings said...

You mentioned that the last chapter made it worth the read. Does Jocelyn end up redeeming herself somehow, or is it worth it for some other reason?

Krista said...

Hi Melissa! The last chapter is actually an epilogue. It gave closure on all the story lines in a very satisfying way. Jocelyn does end up redeeming herself, and thank goodness for that!

Melissas Midnight Musings said...

Glad to hear it. :)