November 11, 2012

Book #121 - Tempting the Player (Gamble Brothers #2)


Tempting the Player (Gamble Brothers #2), J. Lynn
romance
203 pages (e-book only)
Started 11/3/12
Finished 11/3/12
3.5 STARS

I purchased Tempting the Best Man and Tempting the Player at the same time, and had planned all along to read them one after the other. I hadn't initially counted on being disappointed in any way with Best Man. I thought about putting Player off for awhile then, but ended up just forging on 

Bridget wasn't expecting Chad Gamble, professional baseball player and all-around hot god, to take her home with him when they met in a bar. But, he did and it shook her - so much so that she ran and didn't look back. But she can't shut her mind off for a whole month, and then another chance meeting turns into an indecent proposal. Which turns into something a whole lot more than that. 

I liked Tempting the Player better than Tempting the Best Man. This, too, only took me about 12 hours to read, but it was longer and a bit more complex than its predecessor. I loved Bridget and all her imperfections and insecurities. I could relate to them. Chad was the typical romance book guy who falls in insta-love the second he lays eyes on Bridget. Insta-love is okay every now and again, but honestly, in this case, it was pretty unbelievable. A pro ball player is in a bar and falls madly in love with a girl who is totally not his type after just a few minutes of conversation. Riiiiiight. It could happen.

But, no - I think the thing that bugged me the most about this book is that the so-called villain didn't get her comeuppance. In fact, at the end, it almost seemed as if our main characters decided not to care that Bridget was blackmailed and threatened social, financial and legal ruin. I don't know - if that had been me, I really don't think I'd have forgiven all that very easily, despite how things turned out. It was irritating and unfulfilling. Beyond that, I have a sneaking suspicion that the villain will be the subject of the last Gamble Brothers book.
  Not cool.

The end was fun and satisfying, though, and Player provided me with another 12 hours of entertainment. So, it's all good.

2 comments:

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

Tempting the Best Man has been on my want list for a while. I haven't read any of the adult books by the author but this series sounds like it could be good.

Unknown said...

Loved Tempting the Best Man and look forward to reading this one. I'm such a big fan of Jennifer's books. Thanks for your thoughts!