April 26, 2016

RELEASE DAY REVIEW: Ladies Man (Manwhore #3)


Ladies Man (Manwhore #3), by Katy Evans
Publish Date:
April 26, 2016
Publisher: self published
Format: e-ARC, provided by the author
Genre: new adult contemporary romance
To Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Rating: 5 STARS


(Synopsis) Tahoe Roth. Irreverent, cocky, playful and naughty.

He’s not the guy you date.

He’s the one night stand.

The one your mother warned you about.


The one your body craves.


You’d think the man who called me succulent would want to strip me down and spread me out on his bed—like he’s done with countless others.


But he passed on my offer….

Just like I’d once passed on his.

He’s wary, like I am.


He’s broken, like I am.


And everyone knows two broken parts can’t ever make a whole.

Tahoe and I are strictly friends.


So I distract myself with other men.


He doesn’t think my new man is good enough. This blond blue-eyed beast doesn’t think any man is—himself included.


But the more time we spend together, the more confused I feel. I'm trying to open myself to love.


Yet I'm quickly realizing that the only man I want is Tahoe Roth. The one man who will surely break my heart.

Ladies Man absolutely wrecked me. Let's put a pin in the absolutely ridiculous amount of sexual tension that seeped off every single page. What really got to me was how two broken people put on completely different types of masks to hide their fears and guilt and sadness. And how those two people managed to find one another and wipe those masks away. 

We met Gina in the first Manwhore books, as she was Rachel's BFF and roommate. We also learned at that time that she had a hard time trusting men because the one man in which she put all her trust broke it in the worst and most callous way. Gina's never felt good enough for anyone - her parents, her ex, her friends... and now Tahoe. 

Tahoe really is a ladies man. He's this gorgeous billionaire who has parties and friends and lots and lots of women. Except Gina. For some reason, he doesn't seem to want her. And that hurts her deeply. Because she wants him. Just for one night. But, for some reason, Tahoe only wants to be friends. 

Tahoe and Gina's friendship was very bittersweet. They really were great friends. It seems that whenever one needed the other, he or she was there. No matter what. But, it was so obvious that both of them wanted it to be more. You know how I mentioned the sexual tension. Good gracious. It was EPIC. And it was constant. In every interaction between Tahoe and Gina, it was there, along with this underlying sadness that neither felt like they were worthy of the other.

I absolutely loved the theme of masks in Ladies Man. Gina wore makeup constantly. Like, even to bed. It was a very literal and figurative way of covering up someone she didn't like much and creating someone new that she thought everyone would actually like and accept. And it was so, so profound that Tahoe was always wiping her makeup away. It was like, he wanted to see the real Gina. 

Tahoe also wore a mask. The ladies man image wasn't really him. It was a front he put up so that no one knew the pain he had gone through years before. But, Gina was the first woman to ask questions and to make an effort to get to know him. 

"No one is the way they seem. We all hide little pieces, either because we don't want to be judged, or because we don't think we'll be understood, or simply because we don't want those pieces of us to belong to anyone but us."

I absolutely loved this book. It was poignant and heartfelt and sweet. It was sad at times, and I laughed at others. Tahoe's and Gina's relationship was so unique. Ladies Man spans an entire year in their lives, and a lot happens in that time. There was absolutely no insta-love here. In fact, if you're someone who needs lots of sex in your books, you should know you won't find that here. There's almost no sex in this book, but the PROMISE of sex will keep you going. Trust me on this one. 

The great news is, it appears there will be at least one more book from the Manwhore world. Even better, it will involve Tahoe and Saint's other friend Callum and Tahoe's little sister. Oh yeah - it's going to be so good. 

No comments: