July 17, 2015

LET'S TALK: Motorcycle Club Series - Why Do We Love Them?


MC Books

Why do we love books about bad ass motorcycle clubs so much? I mean, most of these guys are bad dudes. They willingly commit crimes. They are certifiable manwhores. They love to fight and drink a lot - I mean, what are we thinking loving these guys so much?


I can't speak for you, so I don't know what gets your tailpipes hot, but I think for me, it's a couple different things. First of all, these MC guys are hot in the most manly ways. They're all big and strong and confident and the alphaest of alphas. They are total badasses, and they know it. There is something so sexy about a man who knows who he is, you know? And, they are hot. Like, HOT.


Do you find it odd that we're okay with overlooking these guys faults because they look really nice in a cut and are expert dirty talkers? I do. I've read a bunch of MC series now, and in most of them, the club members do things from running guns and drugs to outright murder. So, I can't say it's only their pretty faces that appeal so much.

Maybe it's also because, when these guys meet "the one," something in them shifts, and all of a sudden, they are not the center of their whole world. That center now includes someone else. And fight it though they might, they start to change. Oh, in some series, they never go completely straight, especially if they are in a 1% club. But, we see shades of who they might be if they hadn't been part of the club life.

We see how they lay down their lives for their women. How holding their children can soften even the toughest of them all. For a hopeless romantic like me, that stuff is crack, I tell you. All of a sudden, the illegal drugs, the gun running, the manwhoring, the killing - it fades into the background, and this alpha caveman who is willing to do anything - ANYTHING - to protect his woman and keep her by his side becomes... well, a hero.

I'd love to hear from you. What do you think about MC series? Do you love them? Why? And, what MC series do I HAVE to read?

1 comment:

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

They are hit or miss for me. I've enjoyed reading some. I mean, these guys are the ultimate bad-boys. However, sometimes authors take it too far and the character, in my eyes at least, cannot be redeemed.
Kristin @ Book Sniffers Anonymous