March 12, 2015

REVIEW: Stealing Rose (The Fowler Sisters #2)


Stealing Rose (The Fowler Sisters #2), by Monica Murphy
Publish Date: March 3, 2015
Publisher: Bantam
Format: e-ARC, obtained from NetGalley
Genre: adult contemporary romance
To Buy: Amazon * Barnes & Noble
 

Rating: 3.5 STARS

(From Goodreads) People say the youngest child has it easy, but nothing can be further from the truth. Unlike my two sisters, Violet and Lily, I’m never in the limelight. I just work my butt off for Fleur Cosmetics and get little to no thanks for it. I’ve been pushed too far one too many times, and I’m finally brave enough to do something about it.

Maybe my newfound courage has something to do with the amazing pink and white diamond necklace I wear to the party in Cannes. The instant those dazzling heirloom jewels touch my skin, they excite some deep, aching need inside. And when that guy—that totally gorgeous guy—locks eyes with me, I know this nice girl is going to be naughty.

For once it’s my turn. My turn to say no to my father, to outshine my sisters, to walk away from it all—straight into the arms of a mysterious stranger. But what if Caden is much more than I bargained for? Sure, he makes me feel sexy and free in a way I never have before, but there’s something else I can’t quite place—something dangerous. Maybe our “chance” meeting wasn’t so random. Maybe he was looking for me for a reason. Whatever his motive, there’s no going back now.

And maybe I don’t want to.

I'm thinking that the three Fowler Sisters books together make up one whole story. Violet's story was the introduction to the world. Rose's story is the middle where things slow down a bit and get comfortable. I'm betting Lily's story will be the most exciting as it ties up all the loose ends.

For me, Stealing Rose wasn't my favorite Monica Murphy book, but it was still enjoyable. The beginning was exciting and interesting as we are introduced to Caden and learn more about what makes him tick. He's a thief, and apparently, a really good one. He's been dispatched to lift a certain necklace that happens to adorn Rose's neck when they first meet at a party in Paris. Their initial connection was electrifying and exciting. Caden is left reeling by his feelings and the fact that because of these feelings, he didn't get the job done that night. But, he's not giving up that easily.

Rose is the forgotten sister. Violet is driven and works hard for Fleur. Lily is the scandalous one and the black sheep. Rose always ends up fading into the background. She's the youngest and isn't quite sure what she wants to do with her life. Everyone has always assumed she would work at Fleur like her sister. But, because she's usually ignored, Rose is of the opinion that no one would really care what she does.

But, Caden seems to care. As she keeps running into him again and again, she realizes that, more than anyone else out there, he makes her feel alive. And vibrant. And electric. And suddenly, work and family obligations fade into the background as her time with Caden overshadows all.

Caden feels much the same way, although he hasn't forgotten why he was initially drawn to Rose in the first place. As he is faced again and again with the opportunity to steal Rose's necklace, he's forced to take a better look at who he is and whether he can live with himself.

The ending, like the beginning, kept me glued to the pages. I couldn't wait to find out if Caden would get caught, and if he did, what Rose would have to say about it. My issue was with the middle. There was a very long period of time in the middle of the book where all that happened was Rose and Caden having lots of hot sex. Don't get me wrong - I love the hot sex. And, it was really well done in Stealing Rose. But, they didn't DO anything. Rose and Caden holed up in her hotel room and boinked all day every day for WEEKS. I appreciate sexy times as much as the next romance bibilphile, but even I have to admit that they need to be tempered with some interaction with other people. The pacing of the book really slowed down for me at that mid-way point, and didn't pick up again until the final scenes.

As with book 1, there are loose ends still hanging out there, which I'm sure will be tied up in Lily's book. I feel confident that Monica Murphy will bring it all home with that last book. I can't wait to read it. 

No comments: