January 9, 2015

REVIEW: Nothing Between Us (Loving on the Edge #6)

Nothing Between Us (Loving on the Edge #6), by Roni Loren
Published January 6, 2015
Publisher: Berkley Romance
Format: paperback, provided by the publisher
Genre: adult erotic romance
To Buy: Amazon * Barnes & Noble
 

Rating: 4 STARS

(From Goodreads) Unlike the heroine of her popular thriller series, Georgia Delaune can’t afford to take risks or push sexual boundaries—unless you count spying through her neighbor’s bedroom window, and never missing a single move he makes.

Colby Wilkes is more than willing to put on a show for the alluring woman next door. But his dominant side aches to show her the pleasures of submission up close. As a counselor, Colby is sensitive to Georgia’s fears. As a Dom at The Ranch, a private BDSM retreat, he’s the perfect teacher to unleash her passion.

But just as Georgia lowers her emotional barriers, an unexpected complication arrives: a bad boy musician from Colby’s past who adds fuel to her heated imagination. Now, the lonely author has two gorgeous men eager to fulfill every fantasy she’s ever written—and one she’s never dared to dream…


I’ve completely broken all my rules when it comes to Roni Loren. NOTHING BETWEEN US is the second book by her I’ve read. It’s also the 6th book in her Loving On The Edge series. If you do the math in your head, you’ll realize that, not only am I reading this series out of order, but I didn’t start at the beginning either. I know! It’s actually bugging the crap out of me, so high on my TBR priority list is to back up and read all of them from the beginning!

In Nothing Between Us, Georgia realizes she lives next door to a sexy stallion when she observes Colby’s nighttime activities through her window. Too bad she’s terrified to leave her house due to a traumatic event in her not-so-distant past. When Colby’s biggest regret crosses paths with him, together they work to bring Georgia out of her shell and vow to protect her from what seeks to destroy her.

I have to come clean about something. I knew going into this book that it was about a triad relationship. The fact that I eagerly and quickly read it says a lot about my confidence in Roni Loren, because triads are really not my thing. And, although I can say with confidence that triads are still not my thing, I did enjoy Nothing Between Us.

Colby was enigmatic. He’s a high school guidance counselor, so you would think he’s this big softie. Oh no. In his private life, Colby is anything but soft. He is as dominant and commanding as they come. And, yet, he’s sort of perfect for Georgia who’s dealing with crippling agoraphobia. He handles her with care when she needs it, which completely endeared him to me.

So Georgia – she is an author recovering from an attack on herself and her family. She’s hiding, both literally and figuratively, and the most exciting thing that happens to her now is what she sees out her window. Once she does come face-to-face with Colby, it’s impossible for her to deny him anything he wants, which is a good thing in her case.

Keats is the wild card in all this. He enters the story a bit later, and you can just tell there’s something there between him and Colby. And him and Georgia. He’s young, and he’s eager and he’s sweet – he’s the antithesis of Colby, and yet they meshed so well. Keats and Colby have an upsetting past, and once they rehash all that and clear the air, the way is made for them to forge a new relationship.

Prepare yourself to be socked with the steam. Holy shmoly. I’ve read a lot of hot books in my time, and this one is in the upper echelon of sexiness. And, the best part is that the sexiness wasn’t just in the words on the page. When these three got together, either all three of them or just two of them (and yes – there are m/m/f, m/f and m/m scenes aplenty), the mood that was set was just so sensual, and the chemistry between the characters was incredible. I caution you against reading this book in public. Everyone around you will know something’s up.


And, herein lies my biggest issue with triad relationships. In my own very small frame of reference, it’s impossible to have an intense, romantic, sexual relationship with someone without the accompanying sense of entitlement and possession. For me, personally, it would be impossible for me to let that go in order to share someone I love with another person. It feels too much like cheating, which is one of the most awful things, IMO.

But, I don’t deny that, for people who can get in the right head space, a triad relationship can work. Colby, Keats and Georgia all seem to bring different strengths, weaknesses and personalities to the table, and they are all very (VERY) willing participants, so that lessens the blow. And, Roni Loren’s spectacular storytelling helps as well. There’s a bigger issue going on with Georgia that helps weave everyone together and makes the exciting ending that much more dramatic.

I’m now looking forward to going back to the beginning of the Loving On The Edge series and seeing how all the characters that were peripherally mentioned in Nothing Between Us were initially introduced.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I have no problems with triads, I've read several books with the, but this one felt forced to me. I think it was Colby and Keats. Something about them just never quite clicked for me.

Krista said...

I remember you saying that Evan, Jace and Andre's story was better. I think I need to fast track that one.