August 13, 2014

REVIEW: Opposition (Lux #5)

Opposition (Lux #5), by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published August 5, 2014
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Format: paperback, purchased
Genre: young adult sci-fi romance
To Buy: Amazon * Barnes & Noble
 

Rating: 5 STARS

(From Goodreads) Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came.

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her—could destroy them all.

Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.

They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything— even what they cherish most—to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.

War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing.


First he said he didn't want to have anything to do with her. Later, he said he would burn the world down to save her. The ride has been bumpy and scary and heartbreaking and sweet. Through it all, Daemon and Katy have had this incredible relationship that hasn't always been easy. Hell, sometimes, it's been absolutely deadly. But, their connection and dedication to one another has kept thousands of fans clinging to the edge of their seats, wondering what was going to happen to them next. 

The edge of my seat is where I spent most of my time reading Opposition. The Luxen have come to Earth, and they are pissed. They are ready for a take-over, and they want all hands on deck. That means Daemon, Dawson and Dee, much to Katy's surprise. But, Katy won't let the Luxen destroy all she has built with Daemon. She won't go down without a fight either. And, a fight is what is coming. 

This is it. The Lux series has come to an end with Opposition. This book was a pretty incredible ending to a pretty incredible series. I remember where I was when I first heard about Obsidian. The cover had just been redesigned and was getting ready for re-release. My bestie Jen from At Random met me for lunch and told me about Jennifer Armentrout and a giveaway she was having in honor of the redesign. I was all, "A book about aliens in high school? Yeeeeah. I'll give it a try Jen. Suuuuure." 

A year and a half later, I was waiting on pins and needles for the final book to be released to see how Daemon's and Katy's story ended.  To be honest, I stayed on pins and needles through most of Opposition. It was a stressful book, to be sure. For awhile, you weren't quite sure which side Daemon, Dawson and Dee had landed on. 

I knew, though, that there's no way Daemon and Katy could stay apart. They will always find a way back to each other. 

"Kat... I broke every rule of my kind to heal you and keep you with me...I've killed for you. Did you think I'd forget what you mean to me? That anything in this world - in any world - would be stronger than my love for you?"


Opposition was completely action packed from the very beginning through the very end. Aliens have literally invaded Earth. Everything you think that entails happens. Murder. Mayhem. Anarchy. It's scary and crazy and I LOVE that Jennifer Armentrout pulled no punches with this finale. I also love that we see lots of friends from other Lux books - including her adult companion, Obsession. Yes, Hunter and Serena are in this one, as are Hunter's brothers. It was fun seeing him again and watching he and Daemon interact - you know, seeing as how they're mortal enemies and all. 

Despite the very serious overtone of Opposition, Jennifer's trademark snarky language and witty banter are still there. Daemon and Katy still have those toe-curling moments that make you swoon. It's not all doom and gloom, and thank goodness for that. 

This was the send-off that this amazing series needed. It's all there - action, romance, and an incredible ending that makes everything - EVERYTHING - totally worth it.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I am terrified to read this. Not because I think it won't live up to my expectations - I know it will. I have faith in Jennifer Armentrout. I just hate that I'm going to have to say goodbye to these amazing characters at the end.