May 7, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This is one meme I can get on board with - I LOVE lists! I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Top Ten Eight Books When You Need Something Light And/Or Fun

Wow. I had no idea how hard this week's topic would be. As I was looking through the books I've read in the past two years, I realized exactly how much I really love suspense, mystery and angst. Simply put - I like drama with a capital D. This list comprises of books that I, personally, found the lightest from my list. Most of these books do still have some element of danger or drama, but since I don't typically read comedies or satires, what you see is what you get.

1. Princess Academy, by Shannon Hale - The softer version of The Selection by Kiera Cass, Princess Academy is about a young girl vying for the affection of a prince.

2. The 39 Clues Series, by various authors - The 39 Clues is a middle-grade series about siblings Amy and Dan Cahill who are in a race around the world to collect clues that will win them a million-dollar prize.

3. The Wings Series, by Aprilynne Pike - This series has a completely different take on faeries. Although each book includes some sort of battle, and the last book in the series has a BIG battle, I still felt this series was lighter than most.

4. The Harry Potter Series, by J.K. Rowling - Again, I know the later books in the series were darker than the earlier books, the youth of the characters, and the fun and playful antics that ensure keep the overall mood light for most of the series.

5. The Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series, by Rick Riordan - The combination of Greek mythology and modern day life made a truly unique and fun series. Mount Olympus located at the top of the Empire State Building? Yes, please!

6. Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion - I know, I know. How can a book about zombies be considered "light" or "fun?" Only because of the incredible writing of Isaac Marion is this possible. This story is poignant and funny and sweet.

7. The Night Huntress Series, by Jeaniene Frost - Many creatures are killed in every book in the Night Huntress series. Some difficult situations have been dealt with. But, I have got to tell you, this is one of the funnest series I've ever read. I end up laughing out loud through at least half of each book. Cat's relationship with Bones, her mother, Vlad, Ian, her team - they all crack me up in so many different ways.

8. The Chicagoland Vampires Series, by Chloe Neill - Much like the Night Huntress series, the Chicagoland Vampires series deals with some heavy stuff frequently. But the witty dialog and snarky banter between Merit and her fellow Cadogan vampires makes me laugh a lot, and makes this entire series oh so enjoyable.

14 comments:

Danny said...

Haha I am also a drama queen and not many light books come along my way!
Love the Chicagoland Vampires even though I am still super mad at Chloe Neill for what she did to Ethan..

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Not so many light-and-fun titles out there, I think. Lots of dark-and sad.

Here's my list of Light-&-Fun ideas.

Smash Attack Ash said...

I thought of adding Harry Potter, since the first half of the series is fun, but it definitely gets darker. Also, PERCY! I definitely dropped the ball on forgetting that one!

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I did 8 too and then got lazy and put in two authors.
http://bookbugsbite.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/top-ten-tuesday-when-you-need-something-light-fun-may-7th/

Jaz said...

I have heard much about The Chicagoland Vampires! I must start this :D if it's anything like Night Huntress as you say I think I'll love it.

CAT AND BONES WOOT I love Bones' humour :D

I found Harry Potter to be really dark at homes o-o especially Deathly Hallows omg. my creys ;____;

I have Princess Academy waiting to be read! It looks really airy and light.

Of Poseidon really was much light wasn't it? (:

Thanks for stopping by my TTT!

Jessica (Peace Love Books) said...

Yay for Harry Potter! And The Chicagoland Vampires has been on my TBR list for awhile, but I haven't gotten around to reading it. Great list :)

Here's my Top Ten!

Ula said...

The 39 Clues seems awesome, have to try some :) Nice list!

MY TTT

Unknown said...

Oooh! I'll have to check Princess Academy out! I had borrowed the first 3 Wings books from the library, but had too many other books to read at the time, so they're back on the TBR! And I LOVE Night Huntress! Will have to check out Chicagoland next!

Thanks for stopping by my TTT earlier Krista!

Jessica@Lovin' Los Libros

Krista said...

I know, right?? Cruel and unusual punishment!!

Krista said...

OMG - if you love Cat and Bones, you'll love Merit and Ethan! Give the Chicagoland Vampires series a try - it's one of my favorites!

Krista said...

I LOVE the Chicagoland Vampires series! It's one of my favorites!

It's my goal for this year to read something by Jennifer Echols and Stephanie Perkins - I see they both made your top ten, and lots of others too, so they must be good!

Lark @ The Bookwyrm's Hoard said...

Percy made my list. And Harry Potter should have; I let the darkness of the later books sway me, but the early books are lighter, particularly the first one. And there's humor throughout all of them. Princess Academy is a lovely book!

Anonymous said...

I thought about putting Harry Potter on my list, but like others have said, it just got so dark and heavy so quickly. This is not a criticism - I love those books. I probably should have put them on my list anyway. Oh well.

Chicagoland Vampires is awesome! I just read those books this year. Again, not something I considered light or fluffy, but definitely fun.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Denise @ Life With No Plot

Unknown said...

I've read 1, 3, 4, and 5 from your list and love them all. I love Shannon Hale's books. I haven't read Chicagoland, but it's a popular pick.

Thanks for stopping by!