March 27, 2012

Book #35 - Hush Hush (Hush Hush #1)


Hush Hush (Hush Hush #1), Becca Fitzpatrick
391 pages
paranormal romance, urban fantasy
Started 3/19/12
Finished 3/20/12
4.5 STARS

I know, I know. I said angel books weren't my thing. And, for the most part, that has been my experience. I supposed there are exceptions to every rule. I was initially drawn to Hush Hush by the gorgeous cover. Again - I know. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Literally. But, in this case, both the cover and the content were equally beautiful.

Brainiac Nora is focused on one thing - getting through high school with a 4.0 GPA so that she can get into an ivy league school and make something of herself. And then, Patch happens. They are forced to be lab partners, much to Nora's chagrin. Patch is abrasive, arrogant, infuriating and annoying. But, somehow Patch gets under her skin, despite displaying some alarming and scary behavior. It turns out Patch is a fallen angel who wants desperately to become human once again. And, he thinks that in order for that to happen, Nora must die. But, the fact that he's in love with her puts the kibosh on that plan.

Hush Hush had all the stuff that makes up a good book, in my very humble opinion. It has a strong and plucky heroine, a dark and flawed hero, a good mystery, some twists and turns, and a good ending. I loved it. There is so much more to Puck than meets the eye. He's a complex character with some serious depth underneath all the snark.

I was very happy to see the absence of a love triangle too. Honestly, sometimes the triangle is just exhausting and causes the story to drag. Are they really necessary? I realize it's an effective plot device - I mean, it must be. Authors use it all the time. Honestly, a good story with plot points that surprise me and characters that move me keep me engaged more than asking myself who she will end up with in the end. It's clear from the beginning that Nora and Patch are like star crossed lovers, destined to be together. There's a very slight hint early on at another love interest, but that is quickly quashed. It was so refreshing.

I think my only complaint in this book is Vee. Lordy, she was annoying. I could've done with a lot less Vee.

I loved Hush Hush so much, that before I was even done, I was putting a reserve on both Crescendo and Silence at the library. I can't wait to see what else awaits for Patch and Nora.

No comments: