May 31, 2013

NOVELLA REVIEW: Spartan Frost (Mythos Academy #4.5)

Spartan Frost (Mythos Academy #4.5), by Jennifer Estep
To Be Published June 25, 2013
Publisher:  K-Teen
Format: e-ARC - obtained from NetGalley
Genre:  YA paranormal/fantasy/romance
To Buy:  Amazon  * Barnes & Noble * Book Depository

Rating:  4.5 STARS

(From Goodreads) I’m Logan Quinn, the deadliest Spartan warrior at Mythos Academy. At least I was — until the day I almost killed Gwen Frost.

Professor Metis and Nickamedes say that I’m fine, that Loki and the Reapers don’t have a hold on me anymore, but I can’t risk it. I can’t risk hurting Gwen again. So I’m leaving Mythos and going somewhere far, far away.

I know Gwen wonders what’s happening to me, whether I’m safe. I can’t tell her, but this is my story...


I don't usually review novellas. I think maybe I should. Although I still don't consider them a "novel," novellas do still have their place in the overall story. I think they fill in the gaps and make the rest of the books so much richer. So, I'm going to start my new policy with Spartan Frost - it's a very good place to start, actually.

If you read my review of Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy #4), you'll note that the only fault I found with it was that there wasn't nearly enough Logan Quinn for my liking. Imagine my glee when I found that Jennifer Estep had a novella planned from - wait for it... LOGAN'S POV. I know, right?! All the full-length Mythos books are told from Gwen Frost's POV, so this novella was such a treat. 

And, it came at the perfect time, too. After the events at the end of Crimson Frost, I've never been more interested in getting inside Logan's head than I am now. And, what a sad and complex place it is, too. He's experiencing such guilt and anger over his actions, it hurts my heart. Logan is a Spartan - a natural born warrior. So, it's not in his nature to sit around and wallow. 

The events of Spartan Frost lead Logan on quite an adventure. It's exciting and super fun to see him kicking some major butt again. The end leaves a perfect opening to lead you into Midnight Frost (Mythos Academy #5), due out later this summer. Spartan Frost seemed like it was on the short side as far as novellas go. It's a great way to spend an hour or so in the afternoon while you wait for Midnight Frost's release and more Logan Freaking Quinn. 


No comments: