April 10, 2013

REVIEW: The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test #3)

The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test #3), by Aimee Carter
Published February 26, 2013
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen
Format: e-book provided by Edelweiss
Genre:  YA, mythology
To Buy:  Amazon * Barnes & Noble

 Rating:  3.5 STARS

(From Goodreads) Love or life.
Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.


During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.

In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.

With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.

Even if it costs her eternity.


I'm not sure what it is about series enders lately, but they've just not been living up to my expectations. Perhaps it's that I've set my own bar so high that it's difficult for a book to meet such lofty goals. The Goddess Inheritance is the last in the Goddess Test series, and I wanted it to be epic. With the cliffhanger in Goddess Interrupted, I expected no less. So, yes, I did expect big things. 

There was a lot to like. Henry is the most unique version of Hades that I've ever seen, and I kind of love that about him. He's so unexpected. In the first two Goddess Test books, Henry was very reserved and hid his feelings a lot. In The Goddess Inheritance, Henry shows his hand more. We see more love toward Kate. More frustration toward Walter and his siblings. More anger toward Cronus and Calliope. 

Kate has come into herself, and although I had some problems with her reactions to some situations, I did like that she stepped up when she had to and grew a pair of brass ones when it came to Walter and the rest of the Council. It was about time!

James is still one of my favorite characters in this series. He lent some much needed comic relief. But, when he has to, James can be serious and emotional. He's not just a goof, and that rocks my socks. 

When my problems enter is in the actual story. The birth of Kate's baby was so anticlimactic. I wanted so much more from that aspect of the book. Based on the end of Goddess Interrupted, I figured that the birth would be a monumental event. It wasn't. 

There was too much popping back and forth between Olympus and Cronus' island, I thought. I sort of thought that it was supposed to have been hard to get to Cronus. Yet, James, Kate and Henry bounce back and forth several times with little to no effort. It was off-putting and confusing. 

There were also some continuity issues. In one scene, Kate snatches her baby up to protect him, and a few pages later, she's saying that she's never held him yet. We're introduced to this crazy lethal knife in the beginning, which can seriously injure and even kill Gods. Yet, when Kate is pierced with it - nearly to her heart - she's bouncing around and fighting with gusto in the very next paragraph. 

All-in-all, I liked The Goddess Inheritance. It just felt like, since it was the finale of the series, that it should've been AMAZING. 

No comments: