March 13, 2013

REVIEW: Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1)

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress #1), by Jeaniene Frost
Published October 30, 2007
Publisher:  Avon
Format:  audiobook - borrowed from library
Genre:  Adult Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy

Rating:  5 STARS

(From Goodreads) Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father--the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner--are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.


Oh. Em. Gee. 
  
When I think about characters that resound with me - characters that really speak to me - I find that they represent strength, purity of the heart, bravery, and lots of bad assery. I love a girl who stands up for herself and doesn't let others walk all over her. She fights bravely and loves fiercely. I love a man who defies all he knows to save the woman he loves. A real warrior. 

Which brings me to Cat and Bones. 

Cat's had a rough life. She has serious mommy issues, doesn't know her father, and she puts herself in mortal danger every weekend. It's like she was just waiting for someone like Bones to walk into her life. But, one of my favorite parts of this book is that Cat didn't just swoon and fall into his arms. In fact, she kind of hated his gorgeous guts for quite awhile. There was no insta-love here, which made their inevitable pairing all that much sweeter.

In actuality, Bones is the one who swooned first. But, he's just so damn snarky and unruffled that it's hard to tell when it happened. I love that Cat is the one to undo him. It's very satisfying to see an unmovable mountain crumble, don't you think? 

Ugh - I know I've probably activated your gag reflexes by now. I'm sorry. I guess I'm still feeling a little swoony myself, even a week after finishing Halfway to the Grave. I really did just love it that much. 

From a bit more of a technical aspect, this Night Huntress world is one of the best yet. The rules that govern this world of vampires, ghouls and ghosts is so alive. It almost makes me believe that they could really be out there somewhere. I love that Jeaniene Frost goes into such detail to describe the vampire hierarchy and how Cat as a half-breed might fit into it. It all came to life in a way that few books do. 

With one book, this series has become a favorite. I'm already working on collecting my own copies of all six books printed so far. Then I can read them whenever I want. And this first book in the series is definitely one that will be re-read again and again. 

No comments: