November 29, 2016

REVIEW: Mr. President (White House #1)



Mr. President (White House #1), by Katy Evans
Publish Date:
October 31, 2016
Publisher: self-published
Format: paperback, purchased
Genre: adult contemporary romance
To Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Rating: 5 STARS


(Synopsis) He's won the hearts of millions. But is he willing to lose his?


I met the president’s son when we were both young. Matthew Hamilton was handsome, polished, and intelligent. I’d never met a guy like him.


He promised me that he’d never run for president. I promised that if he did, I’d be by his side.


Three terms later, an invitation to join Matthew Hamilton’s campaign is the most exhilarating opportunity I’ve ever experienced. I'm determined to make a difference; he is determined to win.

Focused on his goal, Matt is steadfast, ruthless, and disarming. All eyes are on him and his popularity is surging. But soon, the next possible president of the United States is possessing me in more ways than one—and despite the risks, I'm helpless to resist.

We're stealing touches, stealing moments, and stealing away at night. But our chemical connection is quickly becoming dangerously combustive, putting not only my heart, but Matt's chance at the presidency on the line.

Winning will take everything. Walking away will be the hardest thing of all.

In the wake of all the presidential drama as of late that I am infinitely tired of, I wasn't sure if I could take on Katy Evans' new book about a man running for president. But, in the end, my love of her books, of which I've read many, won out over my desire to push all my political irritations under the rug. And, despite the strong political vibe of the book (and that's not a big surprise because, hello - MR. PRESIDENT), I really loved it. 

I loved it so much because I LOVE forbidden romances where the HEA seems completely elusive and impossible. And this was definitely that. Matthew Hamilton and Charlotte Wells met when she was just a kid, and neither forgot that meeting. More than a decade later, Matt is running for president  and Charlotte is trying to help him get there by joining his team. 

Matt is running as a 35-year-old Independent - something no one has ever done before. He's facing insurmountable odds, but he's charming and attractive and charismatic. And single. He's running as a bachelor, claiming that he doesn't need a First Lady in order to do a good job. And, when he does that, he effectively shoots any relationship he might have had with Charlotte in the foot. If he is seen dating her, it damages his credibility and weakens his image. And in this game - especially for him - his image is critical. 

It doesn't matter that he and Charlotte are very compatible. Or that their chemistry is amazing. Or that the moments they allow themselves to indulge in in secret are hot and sexy and meaningful. In another place, in another time, they would've been the perfect couple. But, here and now, Charlotte and Matt have to be content with stolen moments and sideways glances and feelings that they can't do anything about. Because it looks like Matt might win. And if that happens, the possibility of their HEA gets put on hold for four years. At least. 

This woman not only makes me want to be a great man, she makes me want to be the best goddamn president that ever lived. 

She's what I never knew I wanted and have discovered that I need.


I know full well I'm going to have to give her up soon - but I can't bring myself to give her up yet.

The angst level on this is high, but it's not like love triangle angst or anything like that. I mean, Charlotte is definitely competing for Matt's affections, but she's competing against every single American citizen. It's an impossible contest, and one she knows she'll lose. I felt her sadness, and her desperation, and her frustration. I felt FOR her, because I can't imagine loving someone like she does and having to see him every day, but not being able to act on her feelings. But, what made Charlotte so special is that she doesn't resent him. She believes in him and in his ability to do this job better than anyone else. And because of that, she's willing to sacrifice her own wants and needs. 

Mr. President ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. I can't see how Matt and Charlotte can make it. But, I totally trust Katy Evans, so I just KNOW these two will find a way. I'm sure it will be a great story too. 

No comments: