February 12, 2016

What's On?: Doctor Who

I'm a huge sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal fan. Like - MASSIVE. I cut my teeth on Wonder Woman and the Incredible Hulk, and then later when I got older, I watched all things Buffy, Charmed, Firefly and Farscape-like.

So, it only seemed natural that, when all my bestest of friends started singing the praises of Doctor Who, that I would love it as well. Why would I not? A dude rides around through time in a spaceship fighting aliens and all kinds of other weird stuff.

Except... I kinda thought it was stupid. I didn't get it. I know! Don't lynch me! I made it to the second episode, and the talking piece of skin did it for me. Drop the mic - I'm outta here.


Maybe it was the fact that it was British. Maybe it was just too weird, even for me. I don't know, but I tried twice, and both times I just couldn't get past the second episode. And, so, I gave up.

Except, my friends wouldn't let me forget that I gave up on this seemingly awesome show. They kept suggesting episodes that I should try to activate some deep-seeded love of this series. Then, we finally decided to give it one more shot, and went with Blink, an episode from the middle of the third season. 


And... it wasn't bad. It was actually pretty freaking entertaining. So, we backed up and suffered through some rough episodes in the first season (farting aliens and pig men??), and eventually gained a measure of appreciation for the series. I, personally, started really getting into it once David Tennant, a.k.a. the 10th Doctor, came onto the scene. I think he's completely adorable. 



So, we currently find ourselves on Season 3, Episode 8, and at this point I can safely say that I'm glad we went back and tried again and again. Although I still find myself scratching my head on some episodes, for the most part, I'm really enjoying the show now.

So, do you love Doctor Who? What is your favorite episode? Did you miss Rose as much as I am right now?

No comments: