October 3, 2014

REVIEW: Echoes of Scotland Street

Echoes of Scotland Street (On Dublin Street #5), by Samantha Young
To Be Published October 7, 2014
Publisher: Berkley Romance
Format: ARC, provided by the publisher
Genre: adult contemporary romance/suspense
To Buy: Amazon * Barnes & Noble
 

Rating: 4 STARS

(From Goodreads) Shannon MacLeod has always gone for the wrong type of man. After she drifted from one toxic relationship to the next, her last boyfriend gave her a wakeup call in the worst possible way. With her world shattered, she’s sworn off men—especially those of the bad-boy variety.

Cole Walker is exactly the sort that Shannon wants to avoid—gorgeous, tattooed, charming, and cocky. But his rough exterior hides a good man who’s ready to find “the one.” He’s determined to pull Shannon from her self-imposed solitude and win her heart.

As Shannon opens up in the face of Cole’s steady devotion, the passion between them ignites to blazing levels. But when Shannon’s past comes back to haunt her, her fears may destroy the trust Cole has built between them—and tear them apart for good.


I'll admit - I thought I might have a hard time getting into Cole's story. I mean, I still think of him as the 14-year-old sweet kid from book #2. Even though we caught a glimpse of grown-up Cole in Hannah's book, it wasn't the same as him being front and center. And sexy. And a dirty-talker. 

I think Samantha Young knew that we might still have a remnant of teenage Cole in our minds when we started Echoes of Scotland Street. Which is why she eases us into it. The first scene in the book is between 15-year-old Cole and 15-year-old Shannon. They have this awesome conversation outside his grandmother's house. Shannon likens him to a Tony Stark, Clark Kent or a Peter Parker. She says Cole Walker is a super hero name. So true.


Flash forward a bunch of years and Cole is all grown up. He's put his drawing talents to good use as the star tattooist at a well-renowned shop in Edinburgh. He's been surrounded by people who love him and are interested in him. Shannon, on the other hand, has been in one failed relationship after another. And, after the disastrous end of her last one, her family has pretty much written her off as a lost cause. Shannon is seriously in need of a super hero. But, she sees Cole as the villain with his tats and his piercings - just like all her other boyfriends. 

There is one thing about Echoes of Scotland Street that I loved more than anything. It might surprise you. For a bit, this book goes along like many others. Cole pursues Shannon. She blows him off. On and on we go with only Cole's persistence and confidence and Shannon's inane stubbornness to pull them through the story. I have to tell you - so many times, I sit here and think that there's no guy who would put up with so much crap from a girl. 

The best thing is, Cole doesn't. He truly is one of the best book boyfriends ever. Because, when Shannon's words and actions prove to be too much, he tells her so and writes her off. I loved it. It proved how comfortable he is in his own skin. And that he has a strong moral compass and isn't a doormat. All necessary qualities in a good man. 

And, as it turns out, Cole's stand was exactly the kick in the pants that Shannon needed. Once she saw beneath the false mask she herself had constructed on him, she was able to see Cole's inner hero. And it was then that he was able to do things for her she didn't even dream of. 

Your mind went right in the gutter, yeah? I meant That Cole was able to help Shannon conquer the demons of her past and to start to work through a lot of the guilt she was harboring. But, truthfully, grown-up Cole is a sexy beast who knows his way around the bedroom. Samantha Young doesn't let us down - this book is super hot and super satisfying in every way. We see lots of our favorite couples from previous books too. 

And, we get to meet the subject of the next book in this incredible series. It's a brand new guy - I'll keep it a surprise, but suffice to say, I'm already jonesing for his story. In the meantime, Echoes of Scotland Street will tide you over. It's everything you love in the On Dublin Street series. 

3 comments:

Hannah said...

For some reason I never put it together that this was the little brother from book#2. I haven't read this one or Hannah's book. I'm sensing a weekend book binge.

Nancy said...

I LOVE this series so much! On Dublin Street is one of my favorite books ever, and one I can reread forever. While Braden & Joss are my favorite couple and am always glad to see them in the other books, I love that I also love every other couple as well!
I STILL have not read the 4th book, mainly because I don't want the series to end! But I am extremely excited to read Cole's book! I loved him in the others.

Awesome review!

smiles said...

I so need to check out this series. I'm a big fan of lots of character development in stories. You fall in love with a character, you want to know more about them. The fact that it shows both events as teenagers and as adults is fantastic :D