January 4, 2012

Book #2 - Bloodfever (Fever #2)


Bloodfever (Fever #2), by Karen Marie Moning
320 pages
UF
Started 1/3/2012
Completed 1/4/2012
3.5 STARS

I've been trying to organize my thoughts about this book since I completed it, and I just can't quite line them up enough to form a solid opinion. One minute I think it was a really great book, and the next, I think it was a little stinky. Ok, wait. Let me back up a bit.

The first book in the Fever Series, Darkfever, introduces MacKayla Lane, a prissy southern belle who goes to Ireland to find out about her sister's murder. While there, she finds out she's not entirely human and that all sorts of nasties are being unleashed on the world with her being the best hope to stop them. Mac's mentor and teacher is the enigmatic Jericho Barrons. I'm still not entirely sure what Barrons is, but he's not entirely human either.

My first problem with Bloodfever is that it seems to be a clone of Darkfever. Mac and Barrons argue. Barrons takes her out to find relics. Mac and Barrons argue again. Mac gets the crap beat out of her. Barrons saves her life and seems like he loves her or something. Mac and Barrons argue. I was ready for something different. I was ready for Mac's and Barron's relationship (what there is of one) to go... somewhere. But after two books, they still can't stand each other. And, that's frustrating.

I also am not a huge MacKayla Lane fan.She's froofy and annoying. She can't decide whether she's going to be strong or weak. Whether she loves Barrons or hates him. Crimeny - stop waffling and make up your mind already.

As you may have guessed, I've already started book #3. We'll see if things improve. More on that soon.

No comments: